||610 N. Whitney Way, Suite 160
Madison, WI 53705, U.S.A.
Phone: (608) 238-2171, Fax: (608) 238-9241
Modeling a PhaseRaiser® in PLS-POLE
The PhaseRaiser® lifting system by Laminated Wood Systems, Inc. (http://www.lwsinc.com/phase-raiser/information) is one method of raising structures for lines that have existing groundline clearance problems or need to increase line capacity. A PhaseRaiser® can easily be added into a new or existing PLS-POLE structure model. The following are step by step instructions and some tips for inserting a PhaseRaiser® on a single pole structure in PLS-POLE. For H-Frame or other multi-pole structures, the steps are nearly identical.
The following procedure has been depreciated. Starting with PLS-POLE version 10.74 you should simply use Geometry/Miscellaneous/PhaseRaiser Wizard to insert a phase raiser in one simple step.
Procedure for versions of PLS-POLE prior to version 10.74:
- Start with your base structure open in PLS-POLE
- In Geometry / Joints, add Joints where the bottom and top of the raised portion of the pole will be (in our example, “brp” and “trp”.)
- In Geometry / Wood Poles, copy the entire row of pole information and paste it in the next row.
- Modify the first entry of the pole to become the “base pole” by;
Changing the original Pole Label name (in our example, from “p” to “pb”)
Clearing any existing Attachment Labels and add a new Attachment Label at the centroid of the through bolt cluster (in our example, at 9” below the top of the cut pole.)
Entering the Top Cut Length as the part of the pole being cut off (in our example, 49.5’.)
- Modify the second entry of the pole to become the “upper pole” by;
Specifying the Tip Joint (trpP in our example) and Base Joint (brpP in our example.)
Add two more Attachment Labels for the top of the PhaseRaser and the centroid of the through bolt cluster (in our example, at a Global Z of 14’ and 9.25’ respectively.)
Entering a Bottom Cut Length as the part of the pole being left as the base (in our example, 10.5’.)
- Click OK on the Wood Pole Connectivity dialog box and you will now see your pole “floating”. (Tip: Clicking on the “INIT” button will initialize the view so you can see the entire structure.)
In Components / Cross Arm, complete the structural information for the PhaseRaiser®. Make the length of the PhaseRaiser® the above-ground portion of the PhaseRaiser® (14’ in our example) and add joints under Geometry for the centroid of the bolt clusters (1.75’ and 9.25’ in our example.)
NOTE: You must contact Laminated Wood Systems, Inc. to obtain the appropriate properties. Power Line Systems can not provide them.
- Save the Cross Arm components with the PhaseRaiser® addition.
- Insert the PhaseRaiser® in the model by going to Geometry / Cross Arms and connecting the appropriate joints. Laminated Wood Systems recommends using "Fixed" joint restraints.
- Click OK and you will now see your pole with the PhaseRaiser® element.
- File / Save As, and save the structure with a new name as desired.
In PLS-CADD, do a Structures / Modify, and replace the original structure with the newly created structure with the PhaseRaiser®.
- Complete the rest of the line design and analysis as normal.
© 2010 Power Line Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.